Absolutely stunning and still one of the most popular highly scented yellow azaleas. Flowering in May this deciduous azalea has striking autumn yellow and orange leaf colour. A must for every garden and one of our favourites. A lovely old species that has become naturalized in parts of the British Isles and was very important in the development of the Ghent hybrids. Height 120-150cm in 10 years.
Some people still refer to this by its old name, Azalea pontica.
Please note that due to the stocky nature and slower growth rate of Azalea luteum, young plants will be nice and well branched but are smaller in size than more vigorous hybrid plants in the same pot size.
- Recommended for wonderful fragrance and autumn colour.
- Easy to grow.
- Ideal position: most garden situations, likes some sun.
- Habit: upright.
- Group: Deciduous Azalea.
- Subsection: Pentanthera.
- Introduction date: pre 1900 (1793)
- Species distribution: Caucasus, Turkey, SW Russia, Georgia, Ukraine.
- Approximate altitude: Sea-level to 2,200m.
- Ideal soil: pH 4.5 to 6.
- RHS Hardiness Rating: H7.
- How we usually propagate this plant: Seed.
- Awards: RHS Award of Garden Merit.